Thursday, May 23, 2019

KG3.0 Route Recon - The First Thirty

With the near perfect weather last evening I got out for a nice solo recon ride of the first thirty miles of the KG3.0 extra credit ride route. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and had to bee line back home twenty something miles to try and make it home before dark. We'll call my arrival back at camp dusk-thirty. 

The front section was riding fantastic last evening, running just under 100' of gain per mile and affording lots of great scenery and at least five stunning vistas. Plenty of rise with more than a half dozen notable climbs in that first stretch and an overall upward trend but nothing that is relentless or spite full. I've tried to avoid those types of climb, well, except for the end of course. 

The route also follows one of the nicest back road rivers around before climbing it's way up and connecting to the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail for a short distance along a nice gentle stretch into Danville. The stretch of ClassIV was in pretty fair conditions given the amount of rain that the area has received. With luck, the weather is changing and we will start to see some drying. Regardless, the road had only a couple of wet sections that I was able to fairly easily skirt in order to keep my bike and more importantly, my drivetrain clean for.

This was where I had to depart however, so that piece of the puzzle will be left for another day I'm afraid. With luck I'm planning to recon the entire route over the coming weekend. 

More to come ...



























No comments:

Post a Comment